If you've been working out for a few months or even a few years, I'm sure you're more than familiar with how boring workouts can become!
Here are six new ways to turn a boring workout into one that is more enjoyable!
1. How often have you gone to do your workout, only to find
yourself either not knowing which exercises to choose, or dreaded doing
the same exercises you've come to accept as your weekly routine?
Solution: Before you get your workout started, write down which exercises you want to do, and instead of resting between sets, do what we call "supersets".
With supersets, you pair exercises together, for example:
1 set Flat bench press, followed by (without a rest) 1 set shoulder press.
With this strategy, you won't have time to be bored, because you'll be moving the entire time, shocking your muscles.
2. Change scenery. If you go to the gym all the time, stop.
A change of scenery can be as simple as going to a playground and using bodyweight exercises in place of free weights.
This strategy not only creates more enjoyment, but you may actually get better results in the long run due to the fact that you are challenging your muscles in a brand new way.
3. Reward yourself. Most people treat their workouts as some form of punishment that requires 24 hour discipline... Let your guard down once a week, and treat yourself to your favorite foods, under 1 condition... You must make each workout slightly harder than the last one.
After an entire week of increasing the intensity of your workouts, reward yourself. This makes a boring workout so much more fun when there is something to look forward to at the end of the week.
4. Motivation, we all need it.
Right before you go workout, I want you to look at a physique, one that
you wish you had... A body you hope to get. Now, visualize that same
physique while you're doing your workouts.
You will find that your performance not only gets better, but you will find yourself much more entertained by knowing that you're getting closer to an end result. Having that visual can work wonders.
5. Sometimes all we need is a kick start to get ourselves
into a workout mindset... Workouts are so boring when we're not in the mood for it... So, instead of forcing yourself to workout, listen to a song that energizes you, or gets you pumped up... Then, after that, you should be good to go.
6. Chances are, your workouts are boring because you feel sluggish and lazy. The reason why you feel this way, is probably due to not having complex carbohydrates... You know, the stuff that energizes your muscles!
Eat 1-2 hours before a workout, and make sure you're getting high protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats. A good example: 1 cup oats, raisins, cinnamon, glass of milk. Yes it's true, eating complex carbs before your workouts, will help you by not only sustaining your body, but it's also brain food... aka, a good energized mind and body.